building: management systems: environmental management
The construction sector has a key role to play in minimising the negative environmental impact of building, as rural landscapes and urban centres develop and change. To achieve this aim, the directors of 3b construction have implemented and documented key processes and procedures in our Environmental Management System to ensure we meet environmental best practice for the construction sector.
Our Environmental Management System involves all our employees and is reinforced by a commitment from our directors for continuous improvement through training and personal development in the key areas of:
- pollution prevention and management.
- reduced use of natural resources.
- recycling and minimisation of waste
To ensure consistent standards are achieved, our directors assume overall control of the Environmental Management System, with the Environmental Manager taking responsibility for maintaining the system and ensuring procedures are followed. All our employees share responsibility for the enhancement and improvement of the system.
The objectives of our Environmental Management System are:
- to operate and maintain an Environmental Management System that meets the requirements stipulated to achieve ISO 14001.
- to conduct construction operations at all our sites in accordance with our Environmental Management System.
- to measure the environmental impact of our operations, and to document and investigate any instances of non-conformance.
- to include all our employees in the achievement and improvement of environmental practice in our business.
- to recycle all timber and paper waste produced at our main depot and on our construction sites.
- to continuously improve and enhance our Environmental Management System through training and research.
We monitor and test the integrity of our Environmental Management System through a series of planned internal and external audits, corrective action for instances of non-conformance and detailed reviews by senior management.